Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, February 22, 2010

One week post banding

So it's been one week since surgery. I'm feeling a lot better physcially, although I do still have to be careful bending, twisting and lifting, as I still get those "twangs" when you feel you're pulling on a stitch or something inside. Still bloated, and I get a bit sore by end of day, nothing that rest and paid medication can't get rid of. My wounds still look the same as I'm not meant to take the dressings of until Thursday afternoon when I go see the surgeon for my follow up.

Yesterday the small cup of pumpkin soup I had at lunch filled me ALL DAY. I was SO FULL that I only had a 1/2 cup peppermint tea and 1/2 cup chai (my favourite) tea the rest of the day. So in total I just had that, plus a Berocca Performance and an Up and Go drink for breakfast. That was all I had all day. I've felt mild hunger a couple of times on other days later in the week, but nothing that a cuppa won't fix.

I made my soup for this week yesterday in the slow cooker. It's DELICIOUS (of course, yes I tasted it). It's all pureed up, no lumps, but it has 4 lamb shanks (bones removed of course LOL), zucchini, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, cannellini beans, chick peas and pasta in it. I haven't had red meat in over a month so I think it's going to be fantastic. With the lamb shanks in there there is a little fat in it, but with the small amounts I'm eating and the lack of fat anywhere else in my diet I'm not in the least concerned. I'm looking forward to thicker stuff this week, and DEFINITELY looking forward to next week with soft food. I'm craving scrambled eggs!

I weighed myself this morning - 117kg! That's the lowest I've weighed on my scales (hospital ones were different). I know I'm still bloated with gas and fluid, so I'm not concerned about my weight really (post-op I was actually up to 120kg again on my scales so I know I've lost this week).

My best friend is a nurse, and she read my hospital notes (they sent them home so I had a record of what meds I had in surgery for future reference) and the allergic reaction I had was actually right at the start, they had trouble intubating me as my throat had swelled up!!! AAAHHGGG!! That's scary! But yeah, they got it all sorted. But it still plays on my mind that "I had an allergic reaction on the operation table and it could have gone BAD". But I'm here. I'm sure that will fade from memory soon.


I've been "spoiling" myself with those yummy coffee sachets (latte and strong cappuccino), and tomorrow when I go to the shops I'm going to get some of the Chai ones, they're so yummy. It fills me up and is a treat for me.  If that's my food sin I think I'm doing pretty well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that things have gone well for you.

Very scary about the allergic reaction!! Glad there was a good outcome :-)

If you are anything like me you will feel better everyday - my biggest problem 3 weeks out is that I feel so well I have a tendency to overdo it!

Sue said...

I can see I might do that too, as I'm dying to get to the gym to do something. But I do get worn out easily. Surgery + such a low calorie intake I guess.

Thanks for hanging around, it's nice to have company here!