Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Surgery day

I thought I'd update a bit on surgery day, as I was just talking to my husband about it. I learnt a bit more from him too, stuff I didn't realise.

I was first in line for surgery. We thought that was great! I went in somewhere around 8am I think it was, maybe a little after, for surgery that's around 1 to maybe 1. 5 hours long.

He said I got back around midday. :(

Poor thing was so worried, he'd hardly been told a thing, just quite late in the morning that I'd had a reaction to something and was wheezing but that they were giving me other drugs to help me out.

Turns out I had a reaction to one of the many anaesthetics (who really knows which one, they said it could be any of them) and my skin got quite red (the blood vessels inflamed or something or other) and I was wheezing. They gave me ventolin which apparently helped. But I was a lot longer in recovery than usual, and they pumped me full of more drugs to help level me out - my blood pressure was quite low, heart rate quite low and oxygen levels also low.

I do remember waking in recovery, trying to take the mask off as it was bothering me. I kept drifting in and out. Basically that's how I was most of the rest of the day - in and out of sleep. I remember trying to communicate with my husband, I could see how worried he'd been (and still was) but I really couldn't form words. I remember trying to smile at him, not sure if I did or not though!

He rang later in the day and I still wasn't able to have a conversation, my brain was just skedaddled. And I was in pain, and to be honest? I felt hideous. AWFUL. I was regretting the whole decision to have the surgery. I thought I was the biggest idiot out. I felt SO bad, I thought I was never going to recover. I've had two caesareans, and I felt MUCH more out of it after this surgery (yes I know it was a general anaesthetic for this but the other surgery was so much more severe). I just felt like death warmed up. Only slightly.

The next day I felt much better. Today - even better than that! But don't ask about Monday again, I don't want to feel like that again.

And I don't regret it now, it was just a bad, bad day Monday.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

:-( So sorry you had such a hard time!! I can't imagine!

I'm glad to hear you're doing so much better now! Praying for your full recovery and strength.

Sue said...

Thanks Ruth. :)

Sandy said...

Just found your blog. Welcome to the other side. I'm only 1 week out and my stomach looks similar to yours--knife attack is pretty accurate. Wishing you well and that the pain isn't too bad.
Sandy

Sue said...

Thanks Sandy. Nice to meet you on this journey!

Denise said...

Great to hear that each day is getting better and easier. Probably good that you can't remember too much of the details from Monday! All the best in your journey of recovery!