I hope it helps, it certainly has for me!
#/#/# in signatures: weight pre-surgery/current weight/goal weigh
AF: "Aunt Flo" -- menstrual period
BC: Birth control (or BCP: birth-control pills)
BIA: Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis.
BMI: Body Mass Index
BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the minimum number of calories you need to sustain your current weight. This includes resting and sleeping.
BP: Blood pressure
DS: Duodenal switch (another type of bariatric surgery)
EPGSHFLYADV: Excruciatingly Painful Gagging Sliming Heaving Feels Like You're About to Die Vomitation
FAT MASS: This is how many pounds of your body is fat.
FAT%: The percentage of your body that is fat.
FFM: Fat Free Mass. This is how many pounds of your body is not fat.
GBP: Gastric bypass surgery
GERD: Gastro-esophageal reflux disease
GP: General practitioner
LPD: Liquid Protein Diet
MO: Morbid Obesity (or morbidly obese)
NP: Nurse practitioner
NSAIDS: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (a class of painkillers--which includes ibuprofen--bandsters should try to avoid because they can add to ulcer risk).
NSV: Non-scale victory -- a weight-loss achievement that has little to do with numbers
OTC: Over the counter (i.e., non-prescription medications)
PA: Physician's assistant
PB: Productive Burp -- what happens when something eaten can't go down due to restriction has to come back up
PCP: Primary care physician
RNY: Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (the most popular type of bariatric surgery)
TBW: Total Body Water. This may be expressed in pounds or as a percentage. The average % for a healthy adult male is 50-65% and for female 45-60%.
WLS: Weight-loss surgery


2 comments:
This is helpful. I've wondered about some of these too. What I didn't see is all the relationship abbreviations. I know BFF (best friend forever) and BF (boyfriend), but I see others that I don't understand.
Good on you for posting this :-)
Amanda - some of the other one's I've worked out :-
DH - Dear hubby
DD - dear daughter
DS - dear son
Post a Comment