Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, February 19, 2011

You darn young'uns!

I realised today one of the reasons for my disappointment in myself.

I'm comparing apples to oranges.

I see the amazing and quick weight loss of a few of my younger bandit friends, like JC and AlyceJo and get insanely jealous of how quickly and seemingly easily their weight drops.

Then I thought to myself well no wonder. They don't have the metabolism of a 39 year old woman, they haven't had kids, they don't have to run a business a house and look after kids at the same time (frees up a lot more time for working off the weight) and they don't have to cook for a family.

I'm certainly not discounting the effort you younger girls put in, I admire how you do it!! I am just posting this to remind myself, and other "oldies" like me, that sometimes it's just circumstance and life that make for the difference in our weight loss, not actually our ability or our will power.

I AM ADDING SOMETHING!!

I have hurt AlyceJo. I'm really sorry. :( I'll post here what I said to her on her blog.

Hey AlyceJo.

I'm sorry my post came out the way it did. The reasoning behind it was more for me to stop comparing my loss with your (or other younger people's) loss, as our circumstances really are different.

IN NO WAY did I intend to put down the effort you've put in. I've been, and still am, so proud of how far you've come - I've loved being with you from the start.

So I am honestly sorry that what I said hurt you. I didn't intend to and I wish I didn't.

The reminder was for myself that I shouldn't compare myself with ANYONE as we are all different.

Sorry AlyceJo. :(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AND - they haven't had 39 (or 40 in my case) years to stuff up their metabolisms with yo-yo dieting!!!

In some ways they are smarter than us - they did it the right way so much earlier!!!

Sue said...

Yes definitely smarter than us! I've heard some of the young people say others have a go at them for doing it so young, not trying hard enough or long enough. Yet I see it as a brave and sensible move to create a better life for them!

alycejo said...

you shouldn't be jealous
Just because I'm younger doesn't make it that much easier for me
and although I don't have a family to look after, I still have full time university and two jobs to keep up with so it's not like I can spend 24/7 focusing on my weight loss!
and I have never, ever, ever been even considered overweight, I've been morbidly obese my whole life
and I was put on weight watchers at the age of 10...so on top of all the bullying I got and the constant nagging by parents to get healthy, I also depression in my early teens that I had to deal with.
It certainly has not been easy!

alycejo said...

oh and I cook my own food. My parents have been no help in this process at all.

All That Razzberry said...

While I get your post, I agree with AlyceJo. It's not fair to say it's easier for her because she is younger and doesnt have a family to look after.

We all have our own responsiblies and battles to overcome to achieve our goals.

I know you wouldnt have meant to take anything away from what AlyceJo has achieved :)