Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, January 10, 2011

Photo - a year apart

I took the kids swimming today so I thought I'd take a photo of myself in bathers. Then I realised that I'd done one pre-surgery that was also in January.

So these two photo's are basically a year apart, with a lap-band in between.

January 2010:






January 2011:

I'm about to be brutally honest. I can see a difference. I know I have lost 30kg, and dropped from a size 26 to an Australian size 18 (bottom) 20 (top).

But...

I feel no better. I look at the second photo and am repulsed. I look hideous to me. Look at the skin sagging down in my inner thighs now. My hips are so fatty. My waist - what waist??

My hair is longer and my smile better.

That's about it.

Sorry but that's how I see it myself. I don't want everyone to do the whole "boost up your ego" thing. It doesn't work. Losing weight does NOT fix depression it does NOT fix low self esteem and it doesn't even fix poor body image.

It make you physically healthier, that's all.

I'd be kidding myself if I didn't realise I had a way to go with actually losing weight and the biggest fight of all - loving me. :(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah.... Sue.... my soul sister :-)

You know what? I think that before we started this journey we were in denial (or at least I was). It seems now that we are focused on our weight it is even easier to be critical of ourselves.

BUT - looking at these two photo's I see a big difference. Where did your boobs go girl?!

You have lost so much weight and you are right - you are so much healthier now.

Look at your two gorgeous kids and be proud of what you have done to ensure you are around to bring them up.

(Now I would love to blow some sunshine up your *you know where* but as you said in your post not to - I won't. But if I were to tell the truth I do think you look great!! - I just wish we lived closer so I could come over and complain about my turkey neck and you could whinge about your thighs!)

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

"The King is enthralled by your beauty." -- Psalm 45:11

Believe it. You're radiant! Marvelous YOU! Creation of the King.

You. Are. Beautiful.

Sue said...

WIP thanks for your support all the time, you really are my soul sister. xx

But...

Jennifer THANK YOU. I can't believe someone would write that for me. I can't believe that God DID write that for me (I know I should believe it LOL). That has blown me away - honestly one of the best comments/responses I've ever had here. Thank you for passing on His message. :)

Linda H said...

Well said Jennifer!

Sue wow 30kgs is bl**dy fantastic! And looking at the photo you look way younger and happier in the second - and taller!!!

But you are right, feeling good about yourself has less to do with weight than we might think. It's my hope that one day you'll be able to base your self esteem on the fact that you just lost 30 kilos - which makes you pretty amazing, strong and dedicated....

... and the fact that you were courageous enough to post a photo of yourself in a swimsuit...twice.

... and the fact that you have shared publicly some pretty tough things to share, but which will no doubt impact other people who have been through similar situations

... and the fact that you are a funny, sensitive, clever and loyal person with loads of friends who love you dearly

... and the fact that you are a great mum

... and a million other reasons, none more important then the one Jennifer shared!

I would encourage you to get a hold of Michael Card's song "Arise My Love" if you haven't heard it already... Put some headphones in, go somewhere peaceful and private, crank up the song and dance around, knowing you are listening to God's word (Song of Songs) and his message of love to you.

Linda H said...

Arise My Love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdom4pLg1M

God's words to YOU:

Arise, my love, my lovely one come,
Winter is past and the rains are gone.
The flowers appear, it's the season of song,
My beautiful one, arise and come with me.
Who is it that appears like the dawn?
As fair as the moon, as bright as the sun?
Show me your face, let me hear your voice.
My beautiful one, arise and come with me.
Set me like a seal on your heart,
For love is unyielding as the grave.
The flash of it is a jealous fire,
No flood can quench,
For love is as strong as death.
Arise my love and come with me
Before the dawn breaks and the shadows flee.
You ravished my heart with just one glance
My beautiful one, arise and come with me.

Sue said...

Wow.

I'm gobsmacked that someone I've only met on the internet can share so much love with me. All of you. The three of you have beautiful souls.

Linda that song is lovely. Thank you.

After listening to it I thought of this one and that this is truly me, how I SHOULD be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjhxOv9YDag