But it's VERY VERY common for bandsters. How unfair is it that one of the things that can lead to gallstones is obesity and another is rapid weight loss? We're doomed either way!! Bah.
So there are a few options, but my research (and my surgeon, haven't seen the GP yet) tells me that surgery is really the best one.
You can get them blasted out ultrasonically. They'll break up into little pieces and be passed out. BUT you can get massive pain when they pass - IF they get small enough to pass. And they, in most cases, simply come back.
You can take tablets to dissolve them. But these tablets take about 2 years to work, can give you the runs, and as soon as you stop taking them they'll probably come back.
Or you can have keyhole surgery and get the gallbladder removed. We're usually fine without it - some people might get a little diarrhoea as the bile goes straight into the stomach rather than waiting in the gallbladder. But you should function ok.
I don't want more surgery. I'm scared of surgery. I don't want more holes poked in me leaving me with 30,000 teeny scars on my belly. But I don't want gallstones.
I have all the paperwork for surgery if I want to fill it out. Waiting list is only a couple of weeks apparently. I need to decide, preferably by tomorrow, and I don't want to decide.
*******
I didn't get a fill today. The surgeon was happy that my weight is still going down, even though it's slowed (although his scales don't like me as much as mine do, perils of end of day appointment). I told him about my physical and mental plateau and that I'm moving now. He said it's better to be a little loose than a little tight - if you're too tight you'll start eating food that goes down easy which tends to be bad stuff. ;)
No more appointments at this stage, we're going to get the gallbladder under control first.


6 comments:
That's bad news Sue!!!
Sorry to hear it.
On the surgery side - I've also read somewhere that gallstones can eventually lead to cancer if not removed (but hey - you can't believe everything you read on the internet!!!).
hhhmmmmm... interesting what your doctor said about being too tight. Wonder if that could explain the BINGE I've been having on slider foods.
I would tell you what I've eaten today but you would be HORRIFIED!!!!
Hi Sue,
Crappy news hmmpphh!!
I had my gallbladder out when I was 22yo.. I had the worst gallbladder attacks I thought I was going to die! 2 massive gallstones in a jar I got at the end!
The surgrey was simple one night in much like getting the band in but quicker to recover as could eat normally within 2 days.
Gallbladder attacks are horrible I wouldnt think twice about getting it out!
All the best xx
WIP I read that too.
Thanks Katherine. I think I'm being a sooky baby LOL! I'm pretty sure it will happen, I'm just making sure I make the right decision.
Thanks Toyin. I'm off to check out your blog!
Sorry! Just get it over with. A few more scars and its done. I haven't had any side effects bathroom-wise (or otherwise). Still, real drag you have to go through this!
Gen I just read up on your blog about your experience, thanks for blogging it.
I'm off to the doctor this afternoon to get the "official" results but I am pretty sure it will be surgery.
Post a Comment