Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, December 12, 2010

I am pathetic.

I just watched a show called Beyond Boundaries - Across the Andes.
A team of 10 young disabled people test their strength and spirit to the limit with a 400km trek across the snow-capped Andes over four weeks. With a variety of walking difficulties, speech and hearing impairment and manual dexterity problems, they must negotiate the treacherous Napo River, the main tributary of the mighty Amazon, to get across the mountains to the Pacific Ocean.

These inexperienced and vulnerable teenagers are led by ex-SAS commando Ken Hames, who dismisses their handicaps, saying all would-be explorers have a physical disability. The group includes young amputees and wheelchair passengers. They have overcome the mighty challenge of the steep mountain slopes, and now must cross the Andean plateau and move past volcanoes in their descent to the sea.

For some like 16-year-old Judith, a naturally shy recluse who had her right leg amputated less than a year before, the demands of fitting into the group are as big as the physical. Self-confident Zoe, 17, is deaf, but she has little patience with Judith. Another of the group, Liam, 17, has coordination and memory problems and suffers acute homesickness. Sparks fly as they try to build their relationships around their challenges. None of them will complete the expedition unchanged.


For some reason this video of the show is blocked here in Australia but you may be able to watch it.

But this was a group of people consisting of amputees, one person in a wheelchair, hearing impaired people, a woman with dwarfism, another with cerebral palsy - and they TREKKED ACROSS THE ANDES!!! They battled through THICK THICK mud, 35 degree Celsius temperatures, pouring rain and THEY DID IT!!! Every one of them!!

I whinge and skip the gym when I have my period!!

I am pathetic. I am a sook and for goodess sake Sue, PUSH YOURSELF!!!

If you get a chance to watch the show, do it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, you are NOT pathetic. You are wonderful. Don't listen to the devil's lies and let this be a way to belittle yourself. Instead, let it simply inspire you to believe in the incredible things you can do. LOVE YOU!

Sue said...

Thanks Jake. Saying I was pathetic was more of a "push" to myself if you know what I mean. I certainly believe an element of it, but not totally. It was more of a comparison to shock myself.

Liz said...

Agree with Jake....you are not pathetic. It just shows you that some people can overcome huge obstacles to do amazing things!!

Which in short...is the same thing your doing now!! You're overcoming a obstacle(weight) to become the person you want to be.

yes those people are amazing and inspirational. But 31 kg? Thats pretty inspirational too.

mintradz said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post Sue. I hope it will serve as an inspiration to you, rather than looking at it that they are better and you cannot reach the level they did. Cheer up Sue! You are doing great and I'm sure, after your WLS program you will serve as an inspiration too. Study and research more about WLS diets and other ways to improve your routines. You can also ask for the advice of Phoenix lap band surgeons on how are you going to work on your routines effectively.