But while I appreciate and relish every compliment I get, they come with a negative consequence.
It normalises my current weight.
Size 18 in AUS is not that unusual. It's overweight (I'm not talking stupid BMI here but social acceptance levels), but it's common. So all these compliments, and being called "skinny" (obviously just in comparison) is doing NO good at all to my headspace.
People tell me how great I look and I believe them! I certainly feel better physically than before, and know I look better too.
But the problem is I have a long way to go still. I am NOT at a healthy weight yet, and I DO need to get back into gear and lose another 25-30kg. Which I'm not doing well at right now.
I am completely stuck again in my mental battle. I lasted about a week with my renewed fervour for weight loss and fitness and have very easily slipped back into bad ways.


5 comments:
I understand, I lost 30kg (from 165kg to 135kg) in 2008 and people were telling me I was so skinny and looking great. I'm fat, not stupid, I know 135kg isn't healthy or skinny.
The biggest insult was when a size 16-18 'friend' said she wished she was as skinny as me! (attention grabber much?)
You are further down the road than me though (I can't wait to get to size 18 :-D)
Maybe try responding with, thanks, I am happy with my progress and still have a bit to go?
Congrats on getting this far, and good luck on the rest of your journey :-)
Thanks Manda. That's pretty much what I say to people. I certainly do appreciate the comments but do have to remind myself of reality. ;)
Good luck to you too!
Hi Sue,
i feel compelled to comment here. I know that I am not in your boat exactly with having started my lap band Journey at a size 18, but I definitely can feel were you are coming from. I am now 8 months in and have lost 16.5 kg taking me down to a comfortable size 14/12.
People are noticing and are asking why I have lost so much weight. My best friend even said on the weekend that she was amazed that I was even over 100 kg because she could never see it. It is now getting very difficult to keep up the motivation to lose those last 10 kg as I am feeling very comfortable now and happy with all the positive comments.
I have to keep reminding my self of something my Surgeon once said "Just remember only 55% of lap bander's reach goal". I am determined to be in the 45% who do. This has been a health issue for me and if I don't reach this goal then those health issues will always be there.
Please always try to see the bigger picture, I find it hard sometimes to do this but by reading others blogs and following along with all our blog friends it does help.
Also it is always fantastic to indulge in the compliments you do get. It it so very good for your soul :)
Take care, and congrats on your fantastic weight loss to date. I look forward to seeing you reach your goal
x
Thanks Nikki. :)
Hi Sue - I know just what you mean. But try to feel good about how far you have come, while knowing you are not done. The smaller you get, the harder it is - that is for sure. I feel "comfortable" now, but I know I have more to go to be really healthy. You have done great, keep it up!
Post a Comment